1993-10-09 - Re: The death of the list as we know it (tm)

Header Data

From: “Robert J. Woodhead” <trebor@foretune.co.jp>
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 8a778d4b582145a6ad2e57179b47a4ee54be2bf7981bcd77300ca428f4c1359b
Message ID: <9310090057.AA08696@dink.foretune.co.jp>
Reply To: <9310081743.AA28221@netcom5.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-09 00:59:29 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Oct 93 17:59:29 PDT

Raw message

From: "Robert J. Woodhead" <trebor@foretune.co.jp>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 93 17:59:29 PDT
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: The death of the list as we know it (tm)

Timothy May writes:

>My point is this: there are many sound reasons to keep a group such as
>ours a mailing list and not open it to every freshman in college who
>can grep for "punk" and stumble across us, or for every
>Sternlight-type bozo who delights in creating noise and rancor in
>groups.

This is called "security through obscurity."  I'm shocked to see it
advocated in this list!  ;^>

Opening up the list into a newsgroup has risks, but they can be mitigated
and doing so would make it easier to use, and reduce the load on toad.

One way to mitigate the effect on the list itself is (1) make the
connection 1 way (list->group), with postings to the group sent through
and anon remailer and (2) postings to the group from the list could
be signed to authenticate them.

Bottom line, isn't one of the goals of punkery in general (whatever
flavor) to _spread_ knowledge.  Shouldn't this stuff be shouted from
the digital treetops?

Thread