1993-10-26 - Re: Net Regulation

Header Data

From: dmandl@lehman.com (David Mandl)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b3d0a4ba407c243804384c72e8cf65a712837b98bfc8230a8a82feb725a8c00c
Message ID: <9310261345.AA07208@disvnm2.lehman.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 07:14:56 PDT

Raw message

From: dmandl@lehman.com (David Mandl)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 07:14:56 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Net Regulation

> From: peb@procase.com (Paul Baclace)
>
>  > From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
>  > Admittedly, if someone could put a *loyal* armed soldier over
>  > everyone's shoulder on earth they could control everyone. How, though,
>  > could they manage to do this?
>
> By getting everyone to obey the "policeman inside" (concept due to
> Wm. Burroughs, recently quoted by Wm. Gibson in WIRED Sept/Oct).

Yup, the state has been counting on this for years.  It's
hard to explain how people put up with the shit they put up with
any other way.  Wilhelm Reich talked about this many many years
ago (concept of "character armor," which is probably where WSB got
the idea.  To paraphrase WR: "The puzzling thing isn't why 2% of
people who are starving steal food, but why the other 98% *don't*."
(Forgive my anti-propertarian example, but I think you get the
idea.)

   --Dave.

Thread