1993-10-21 - Re: Gold in them thar Bills…

Header Data

From: ferguson@icm1.icp.net (Paul Ferguson x2044)
To: pmetzger@lehman.com
Message Hash: b4c9e612c5398c0c36ee6d0e17806b257f54009822ea65f5e581fa10929f96ce
Message ID: <9310211858.AA00917@icm1.icp.net>
Reply To: <9310211721.AA22131@snark.lehman.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-21 17:57:56 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Oct 93 10:57:56 PDT

Raw message

From: ferguson@icm1.icp.net (Paul Ferguson x2044)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 93 10:57:56 PDT
To: pmetzger@lehman.com
Subject: Re: Gold in them thar Bills...

> As for "in my book, silicon is worth more than gold", I'll happily
> trade you 100 kilos of silicon for 100 kilos of gold any day you like.
> Assuming you aren't fibbing, you should take the trade, since the
> silicon is worth more to you.
>
> Of course, you'd be a fool. Silicon is plentiful, and costs pennies
> the kilo. Gold is not plentiful -- the market value is around $10,000
> the kilo.

Perry, I think its foolish to refute it simply on a literal basis,
but then again, that's just lil' ole me.

One could reasonably argue that you simply can't walk into the
corner 7-Eleven with a pound of gold and purchase 475 Big Gulps (tm),
but then again, there's an advocate for each point of view (ie,
Sternlight).

I personally like the gold/silicon comparison, if taken from a
philosophical viewpoint.

Information is arguably the gold of the future, and strong crypto
helps broaden the spectrum for each and every one of us.

Cheers,

Paul Ferguson
Mindbank Consulting Group                                    fergp@sytex.com
Fairfax, Virginia  USA                                       ferguson@icp.net