1993-10-19 - Re: Cypherwaffle on spoofing

Header Data

From: plaz@netcom.com (Geoff Dale)
To: Cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c6713d71b3e268ab4ba30bf4f8afe4d067275d6c2989132bd9d54adf50b5ccb1
Message ID: <9310190458.AA18671@netcom.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Oct 93 22:02:21 PDT

Raw message

From: plaz@netcom.com (Geoff Dale)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 93 22:02:21 PDT
To: Cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Cypherwaffle on spoofing

-----BEGIN UNSIGNED MESSAGE-----
>  I understand Detweiller's frustration. On another list, someone posted
>as if he/she were William Gibson. That kind of fraud undermines
>confidence on several levels. It attempts to dupe us, and usurps the name
>and reputation of a well-known writer, and sets up an atmosphere of
>suspicion and doubt fatal to any community.
>  How would you like it if someone spoofmailed  to this list under your
>name, then published Nazi slogans and argued for the legalization of rape?
>  What I find odd is the number and  vehemence of posts ON A LIST DEVOTED
>TO ENCRYPTION saying "Hey, it's a  fact of life, accept it" -- even
>dragging out Machiavelli's profoundly  mistaken "if you can't enforce
>it,  don't prohibit it." Of all the groups  on the Internet, I would
>think that  this one would be in a special position to say "put your
>digital John Hancock on your post if you want to to taken seriously."

So where's your John Hancock? Put your money where your mouth is.

Anyone is free to delete unsigned messages, and many people do sign thier
messages, but cypherpunks is an informal mailing list. Why require silly
rules like this?

Over on Extropians this is called spontanious order. If you think something
is important, starting doing it, and encourage other people to do it. If
it's really as important as you think it is, it'll spread and become a
dominant meme. If it's useless drivel, it will be ignored.
-----END UNSIGNED MESSAGE-----

Geoff Dale    -- insert standard disclaimers here --    plaz@netcom.com
               "We are the shock troops of reality."
                - Voice of the Friends (Wild Palms)