1993-10-21 - Re: Clipper Chip report on 700 Club today (Wednesday)

Header Data

From: nate@VIS.ColoState.EDU
Message Hash: cb425f9de7674c45ad04a3c4183a6a3dc46441e863ad6ec88725e6dff78b9fe1
Message ID: <9310211458.AA05063@seurat.VIS.ColoState.EDU>
Reply To: <9310210615.AA19919@servo>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-21 15:02:43 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Oct 93 08:02:43 PDT

Raw message

From: nate@VIS.ColoState.EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 93 08:02:43 PDT
Subject: Re: Clipper Chip report on 700 Club today (Wednesday)

writes Phil Karn:

>Of course, the Religious Right is at odds with the current government,
>what with talk of using the federal racketeering laws against
>anti-abortion demonstrators.  So perhaps they can be forgiven for
>their current anti-government stance.  Their tune might well change if
>they ever succeed in overturning Roe V Wade. Imagine their glee
>turning to horror when they discover that those satanic pro-choice
>people are using encryption to coordinate *their* protests and perhaps
>even to coordinate travel by women seeking abortions to places where
>it is still legal. :-)

I wonder if they know that the idea was developed during a republican
administration?

>And there's supreme irony in the right to encryption and the right to
>abortion both being founded in the same basic concept: personal
>privacy.  It all depends on whose ox is being gored, I guess.
>

>Phil

-nate

| Nate Sammons   email: nate@VIS.ColoState.Edu
|   Colorado State University Computer Visualization Laboratory
|   Finger nate@monet.VIS.ColoState.Edu for my PGP key
|   #include <std.disclaimer>
|   Title 18 USC 2511 and 18 USC 2703 Protected --> Monitoring Forbidden
+--------+                          Always remember "Brazil"

Thread