1993-10-26 - We Don’t Need No Steenking Digital Superhighway!!

Header Data

From: Christopher Davis <ckd@kei.com>
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: d63b6740a19bff581eacb625732b5a45db3cdb3189026102def26ddc88124ef5
Message ID: <199310261514.LAA13689@loiosh.kei.com>
Reply To: <9310260427.AA00771@tamsun.tamu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-26 15:20:00 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 08:20:00 PDT

Raw message

From: Christopher Davis <ckd@kei.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 08:20:00 PDT
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: We Don't Need No Steenking Digital Superhighway!!

TCM> == Timothy C May <tcmay@netcom.com>

 TCM> In fact, it is the EFF's talk about the "need" for such a government
 TCM> effort that really worries me about the EFF (a mild kind of
 TCM> worry...I haven't completely detweilered over it). I'm not clear
 TCM> just how central are these issues to the EFF, currently, but I urge
 TCM> us all to try to convince them that the "electronic frontier" really
 TCM> doesn't need government-built channels and routes.

Have you read the article in _The New Republic_, titled "Mitch Kapor: Data
Highway Guru"?  It's been conveniently electronified and is included in
O'Reilly's _Global Network Navigator_ hyperzine, even.  (Mail info@gnn.com
for details.)

This quote's well within fair use size, given the size of the article:

   Kapor supports a nationwide fiber grid, and sees ISDN as a transitional
   step, not a substitute. Still, he does oppose big government financing
   for fiber, and this financing did seem a live prospect in January,
   after Gore's ambitious campaign rhetoric. Gore now says he was
   misinterpreted and had never envisioned a big government role. In any
   event, the interest in ISDN stoked by EFF and Markey helped end
   discussion of any such role.

I highly encourage you all to give the article a look; since GNN is free,
anyway...
--
Christopher Davis * <ckd@kei.com> * (was <ckd@eff.org>) * MIME * RIPEM * [CKD1]
   This netnews posting is presented in the original 80-column aspect ratio.

Thread