1993-10-27 - Re: help writing code

Header Data

From: mpjohnso@nyx.cs.du.edu (Michael Johnson)
To: pfarrell@netcom.com
Message Hash: d7beef88638ef8ee41c0d7b47b8d4672c5f51db329b3450da3297a79419dd7ca
Message ID: <9310271610.AA23350@nyx.cs.du.edu>
Reply To: <36383.pfarrell@netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-27 16:12:54 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 27 Oct 93 09:12:54 PDT

Raw message

From: mpjohnso@nyx.cs.du.edu (Michael Johnson)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 93 09:12:54 PDT
To: pfarrell@netcom.com
Subject: Re: help writing code

> the SMTP/POP protocols. But I can't get Windows to talk reliably with a
> raw async link. (I don't want to require SLIP or PPP, as lots of sites
> are too clueless to offer it.)
>
> I need a robust communications library. It has to do as well as possible
> given an inherantly inreliable link. I've bought three commercial sibraries,
> and none work.
The only way to communicate reliably over the serial port in Windows is
to upgrade the UART in your serial port to a 16550AFN or equivalent. The
standard UART (16450 in AT class machines) has no buffer and suffers from
frequent dropouts due to data overwrite on receive. If you can't do that,
then an error correcting protocol such as SLIP or PPP is required.

                                   Mike Johnson
                                   mpj@csn.org

Thread