1993-10-05 - Re: criminal gif upload

Header Data

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
To: mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Matthew J Ghio)
Message Hash: de5d80b35155a2cb18231f424cc465056b425abb5c5cba8d3fdb886ca7840ba6
Message ID: <199310052159.AA28270@eff.org>
Reply To: <QggS=pa00awJQEOpo1@andrew.cmu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-05 22:00:07 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 5 Oct 93 15:00:07 PDT

Raw message

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 93 15:00:07 PDT
To: mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Matthew J Ghio)
Subject: Re: criminal gif upload

> ha ha.  Seriously tho, just posting a list of MS-DOS filenames is rather
> useless as filenames do get changed.  It is highly likely that a sysop
> or user might have changed the filenames to something else, especially
> if their operating system supported filenames longer than 8 characters.

I'm interested in the source of that probability calculation. In
my experience, sysops dealing with a large volume of files normally
don't bother to change the names of a few of them, unless they see a
compelling reason to do so.

--Mike

Thread