1993-10-05 - EFF GIF file recall notice: is EFF the new CERT?

Header Data

From: “L. Detweiler” <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f3381c11eb3508681518096d37f92c6e8ed7d0e3ea25b0f7447a3983811d201f
Message ID: <9310050151.AA05050@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Oct 93 18:54:47 PDT

Raw message

From: "L. Detweiler" <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 93 18:54:47 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: EFF GIF file recall notice: is EFF the new CERT?

Enclosed, a `GIF file recall' warning from EFF & S. Steele.

Ug. Blech. What the heck is EFF doing something like this? This strikes
me as promoting hysteria and paranoia over image content and BBS
operator liability. I hope Mr. T.C. May will have something eloquent to
say about how silly, useless, and damaging this is. Didn't anyone talk
to M. Godwin about this?! Is EFF the new CERT? Are we going to have new
periodic EFF Pornographic GIF warnings?

S. Steele, I think we deserve better. This gets a definite Cypherpunk
Razzberry award. (And that will probably be the *least* of the
criticism.) Whose idea was this?

This reminds me. There is a whole new class of urban legends that are
starting. Technology does not mean the eradication of urban legends, it
only seems to mean they are propagated faster. Did anyone hear the
rumor (now totally debunked) that California police were warning
motorists not to blink their lights, because it was a signal to gangs
to shoot in an `initation ceremony'? This flashed across the nation in
a few days due to well-meaning, but totally indiscriminating, public
who transmitted it via email and fax machines. Didn't anyone stop to
just say `uh, waitaminit!'

They think *we* (cypherpunks) are paranoid, and easily subscribe to
conspiracy theories. Hah! The public at large is frighteningly
gullible, even *without* the media. In fact, as bad as the media is, it
actually has a dampening force to this kind of sheer hysteria.
`extraordinary public delusions and the madnesses of crowds'.

The trick is to try to get networks to allow urban myths to meet the
dampening force faster. Imagine if early in the spread someone
authoritative comes on and says `there is no substance to this, and we should know'.