1993-10-13 - Re: Native American Encryption?!

Header Data

From: koontzd@lrcs.loral.com (David Koontz )
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fa3c0dfdd543ca1029c54fd58115e8952462195706998dd4f1e6ca204c4ffaee
Message ID: <9310131525.AA03957@nebula.lrcs.loral.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Oct 93 08:26:39 PDT

Raw message

From: koontzd@lrcs.loral.com (David Koontz )
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 93 08:26:39 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:  Native American Encryption?!

Navajo (Navaho) Indians.  Referred to as Code Talkers.  I believe you'll
find something in David Kahns "The Code Breakers".  They were used in
tactical situations.

To break an otherwise unknown language would require context, such as
good traffic flow analysis and otherwise good intelligence.  I beleive
there was a program on A&E (TV) on the Navajo code talkers in the Pacific
(WWII).  Navajo code talkers used lots of colloquilisms and all new
each other more or less.  You could have ended up attacking language
code in sets between two code talkers.

Thread