1993-11-29 - Secure Clear

Header Data

From: XXCLARK@indst.indstate.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 041965175ad11b35476827b83196cd229c88ae807dfbdb1c3078e89eec601a6d
Message ID: <9311290428.AA13770@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Nov 93 20:29:40 PST

Raw message

From: XXCLARK@indst.indstate.edu
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 93 20:29:40 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Secure Clear

         wisej <wisej@acf4.NYU.EDU> asked:

>                        (M) MOTOROLA

>        Motorola and Secure Clear are trademarks of Motorola, Inc. (c) 1993
>        Motorola, Inc.

>Comments?

        Don't have one, but know two who do. Scramble, as I understand
   the meaning of the word, they don't.

        Last I knew, "Secure Clear" is simple frequency inversion, and can
   be defeated by:
                   a $15 kit added to a scanner, or;
                   tuning the freq on a single sideband receiver.

        I've even heard of individuals who had trained themselves, or
   been trained, to understand the freq inverted signal.

        Check out Cincinnati Microwave's spread spectrum frequency
   phones. I don't know if they use frequency hopping or direct sequence,
   but they may be secure against all but military and LEA types... and
   the really determined and accomplished hardware hacker.

Thread