1993-11-25 - PC Based One-Time Pad

Header Data

From: kkirksey@world.std.com (Ken B Kirksey)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1a6bf4088e438ea69318fbeac57eb595f6bab4d96732375dab8ff734b512f9d2
Message ID: <199311251654.AA02190@world.std.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Nov 93 08:58:35 PST

Raw message

From: kkirksey@world.std.com (Ken B Kirksey)
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 93 08:58:35 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: PC Based One-Time Pad

While I was reading though _Applied Cryptography_ last night, a thought
struck me (no damage):  Why hasn't anyone come up with a good Mac or PC based
One-Time Pad system.  I'd envision it working something like this:

   * A 1.4 Meg floppy with a single file, or multiple files, of random bits.
     2 copies, one for sender and one for reciever.

   * The first few bytes of the cyphertext file will contain the name of
     the pad file used, possibly the volume name where the pad file is
     stored, and the starting offset within the pad file.

It seems like this would be a fairly easy system to implement, but since
no one (to my knowledge) has yet done so, there must be something I'm
missing. :-)  Secure distribution and storage of the pad disk could be
difficult, but not insurmountable. The only hurdle that comes to mind is that
filling a 1.4 meg floppy, or even a 700k floppy, with a sequence of TRULY
random bits might be difficult and/or very time consuming.  Any thoughts?

                                Ken

Ken Kirksey            kkirksey@world.std.com            Mac Guru & Developer
Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon
the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.
                                                            - Mahatma Ghandi

Thread