1993-11-12 - The Depravities of Cypherpunks

Header Data

From: jazz@hal.com (Jason Zions)
To: “L. Detweiler” <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Message Hash: 1ff0f7c5113c644af224f84a3138fcdde9656161b6409cb29165e74d9a914fe2
Message ID: <9311122319.AA15772@jazz.hal.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 15:19:40 PST

Raw message

From: jazz@hal.com (Jason Zions)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 15:19:40 PST
To: "L. Detweiler" <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Subject: The Depravities of Cypherpunks

>Also, I have mail from Mr. Jason Zions (jazz@hal.com) also complaining
>that I violated Mr. Metzger's privacy in revealing his mailbomb to me
>to the list as a whole. This strange code of cypherpunk chivalry I am
>not familar with.

It's not chivalry; it's copyright law. The creator of a message owns the
copyright to that intellectual property; the recipient owns the copy of the
message, much like one who buys a recorded album owns the copy of the work.
The message you quoted contained the statement "Do not forward/reproduce
this message" or words to that effect. That is a clear statement by the
copyright holder which limits any redistribution rights that might have
otherwise become yours upon receipt of the message.

Given the nature of the communication (i.e. mention of potential email
bombing), I believe you'd be within your rights to share the threatening
content of the message with upstream mail host admins who might play a role
in preventing such an occurance; but no further.

It's also common courtesy. You can have significant disagreements with a
person, yet still honor their simple requests.

Jason

Thread