1993-11-17 - Re: ANON: pseudospoofing confusion

Header Data

From: Stanton McCandlish <mech@eff.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 29d5d79d1bb9c49683cadcaf1ba0a2c89c1386d83cf765e6ee0e4cbc19cc4b9c
Message ID: <199311170250.VAA04184@eff.org>
Reply To: <9311150716.AA22551@flammulated.owlnet.rice.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-17 02:51:04 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Nov 93 18:51:04 PST

Raw message

From: Stanton McCandlish <mech@eff.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 93 18:51:04 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: ANON: pseudospoofing confusion

> I'm sort of fuzzy on the distinction between pseudonymous and
> pseudoanonymous; is it that a pseudonym is obviously so?  For example,
[...]
> Now, pseudoanonymous is when a fake identity is created, without it
> being obviously so.  (Right?)  So if I were to obtain another account
> with a different user name, etc. and use that account, I would be
> pseudospoofing. (?)

I have pointed this out numerous times to L.D. in private mail, but he
doesn't seem to get the fact that "obvious" is completely subjective.
The most recent example I gave was that "James Bond" would appear to be
an obvious pseudo.  Unless your name really IS James Bond (which is
actually not that rare of a name), or you happen to be someone that's
never seen a J.B. movie, or read an Ian Fleming book, such as, say, a guy
from Norway or Japan, in which case it would be quite reasonable to
presume that the person you just got mail from really is named James Bond.

Detweiler's entire proposition hinges on this distinction between
pseudonymy and "pseudoanonymity"/"pseudospoofing".  The distinction does
not actually clearly exist, and his premise (or I should say "its"
premise, since Detweiler has lately claimed to be female) collapses.

I have attempted to get this to sink in to it's head, but to no avail; it
just keeps posting and mailing away.  What can ya do?  I for one may just
add someone to my kill file for the first time ever, as I'm sick to death
of the same 200 line rant, rearranged and given a new title, popping up in
my list mail, private mail, and news several times a day.

Detweiler is not really in a position to complain about letterbombing.

Aside from that, I recommend just ignoring it until unless it posts
something of relevance and interest.

--
Stanton  McCandlish  mech@eff.org  1:109/1103   EFF  Online  Activist & SysOp
O P E N  P L A T F O R M   C R Y P T O P O L I C Y   O N L I N E  R I G H T S

Thread