1993-11-17 - Tech: Truth about Canon Copiers

Header Data

From: habs@panix.com (Harry S. Hawk)
To: extropians@panix.com
Message Hash: 3a2bfdf5f299150ebdb8599584d5f624e67903502f0a7e730698d9dfd0158661
Message ID: <199311170007.AA15114@panix.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Nov 93 16:10:57 PST

Raw message

From: habs@panix.com (Harry S. Hawk)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 93 16:10:57 PST
To: extropians@panix.com
Subject: Tech: Truth about Canon Copiers

A common thread a month or two ago was about what happens when you
try to copy a US Currency with a Canon color copier.

Since my office is thinking about buying one, I asked for a demonstration
of this feature.

We put a 5 dollar bill on the copier and made a copy.

It copied the side with the dead white guy fine. We flipped it over
and copied the other side. It printed a deeply altered image.

We then accessed the copier from a SGI Indigo which has a GPIB interface
to the copier. We used software on the Indigo to scan in the bill.

The scan died halfway into the scan.

Clearly their is something in the scan (input) function of the copier
that is preventing the bill from being copied.

I suspect it looks for the "color of money" and if it finds it, it
does further checks for US bills.

/hawk

--
Harry S. Hawk  -  Extropian