1993-11-17 - Re: Should we oppose the Data Superhighway/NII?

Header Data

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4296616f5d0378fe79e04b2aee758418c4c0d80a9430115b88139d832d840778
Message ID: <sguI_cK00awFM8YkYa@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <199311151041.AA19187@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-17 00:00:56 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Nov 93 16:00:56 PST

Raw message

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 93 16:00:56 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Should we oppose the Data Superhighway/NII?

habs@panix.com (Harry S. Hawk) wrote:

> 1) I feel the government, in this case and others, should never
> force the adoption of any particular technology (ISDN, ATM, etc)
>
> 2) While I am pro-market in the Extropian Way, I think that what we
> need from the government is the following:
>
> a) recognize that Cable and Telco are the same business
> b) set very minimum standards required for basic services
>         (basic telco, basic cable (e.g., local broadcast channels)
> c) I don't see data as a basic service
> d) apply the same regulation to both companies.
> e) Let cable and telco compete head to head
>
> 3) Let the rich pay for it ;)

The one and only thing we need from the government is one that you
forgot to mention.  All we need the government to do is to allow all
interested parties equal access to the utility easements that the
gummint has already set up.  (Make the gov't follow the constitutional
requirement of equal protections under the law.)  This will allow free
market competition of ALL communications services (well, I guess you
sort of said that in (a) and (e).)  b) is irrelevent (or could be)
because of free broadcast media.  In d), what kind of regulations do you
want?  And c), I don't see the distinction between "data", and
telco...the government should recognize it as all the same, right?  Kind
of sounds like that crazy "modem tax" the FCC tried a few years ago.

Oh, and of course, let the rich pay for it. :)

Thread