1993-11-12 - Re: Privacy, Property, Cryptography (long)

Header Data

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
To: doug@netcom.com (Doug Merritt)
Message Hash: 48e372cb8cbc5988b188b90eaa210ff7d29ee41bf319fd3a6b84ac8f9378d332
Message ID: <199311121711.AA06984@eff.org>
Reply To: <199311120644.WAA16116@mail.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-12 17:14:33 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 09:14:33 PST

Raw message

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 09:14:33 PST
To: doug@netcom.com (Doug Merritt)
Subject: Re: Privacy, Property, Cryptography (long)

Doug writes:

> Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org> said:
> >This quotation needs to be debugged a little bit. The actual quotation [...]
> >as against the government, the right to be let alone--the most [...]
> >(Note in particular that it's "let," not "left.")
>
> It's always nice to get quotations down correctly, but surely the
> original "let" translates in today's speech to "left"? If not, I'd
> like to hear about the difference.

Oh, it means almost the same thing--there's only a slight connotative
difference. But the issue for me is the precise accuracy of the
quotation, not the nuance. I spotlighted that difference
because otherwise it would likely be overlooked.

If one prefers to "translate" rather than to quote, one shouldn't use
quotation marks, IMHO. Besides, Brandeis's comment is perfectly good
20th-century speech--only six or seven decades old.

--Mike

Thread