1993-11-30 - Re: Cryptosplit 2.0

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: Brad Huntting <huntting@glarp.com>
Message Hash: 56649aed7ca372f1cd99644745555e4705df1652c311f3595df2a3555a77ca6f
Message ID: <9311301850.AA05810@snark.lehman.com>
Reply To: <199311301731.AA06857@misc.glarp.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-30 18:52:41 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Nov 93 10:52:41 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 93 10:52:41 PST
To: Brad Huntting <huntting@glarp.com>
Subject: Re: Cryptosplit 2.0

Brad Huntting says:
> So if you cant predict which pages will land where in memory (which
> may be a false assumption), this is probably a good method for
> getting a random number on a unix box.

It might be a decent way to get *A* random number, but if you start
milking this source too frequently you will likely start getting more
and more correlation.

Myself, I'm still in search of a decent, inexpensive, high-quality
source for random numbers, and only hardware will REALLY do.

Perry

Thread