1993-11-30 - Medical and Hospital Info Systems.

Header Data

From: Matthew J Miszewski <MJMISKI@macc.wisc.edu>
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Message Hash: 64955887de32acca76c5fef672eed29a1eab8e16f70089f2112d158307534655
Message ID: <23112921323872@vms2.macc.wisc.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 29 Nov 93 19:37:16 PST

Raw message

From: Matthew J Miszewski <MJMISKI@macc.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 93 19:37:16 PST
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Subject: Medical and Hospital Info Systems.

First off, thanks to all the people who replied to my first post.  Which, as
it turns out needs a bit of clarifying.

I am looking for a secure information system for hospital administration.
My mother is on the purchasing committee at her place o' employment (she
is a Registered Nurse) and asked me some questions about their nascent
search for a new information system.

They are considering three operating systems all put on 3090's i believe.
They are considering CICS, AIX and something merely labeled propietary (UNIX?).
Well, I am visceraly familiar with the first two and know of several security
problems with both systems.

So, when I read on in her literature I found mention of security.  All that it
said was individual users have individual passwords!  HELLO! I immideatly
told her that there was or would be a problem.  AIX out-of-box is horribly
insecure as is any CICS implementation i have seen.  I was/am concerned
about the probability of a breach.

So, my cryptoQuestion is based around *any* possible/existing medical info-
rmation protocals in existance.  I would prefer a cryptographic protocol,
thus my appeal to the list.  If none exist, then industrious punks can make
a bundle by creating one (Oh yeah! We do write code when were not hissing at
Medusa's Head!).

Otherwise, I may simply piece together a package from that which already
exists.  Punks, I must say it is sad to see the state of information
security with regard to Medical Information.

--Matt
In defense of liberty, encrypt for all purposes, civil and professional.
In defense of privacy, encrypt all correspondence, personal and professional.
In defense of sanity, do not encrypt your dry cleaning invoice!

       ++++++++--------mjmiski@macc.wisc.edu                          (c)1993

Thread