1993-11-02 - Re: Some possible projects/topics for CypherPunks

Header Data

From: hiscdcj@lux.latrobe.edu.au (Dwayne)
Message Hash: 76481ba3a10bdf5f802741e66f2ace4933a2f0d76da6a13e5d64deffc8a45831
Message ID: <9311021416.AA13358@lux.latrobe.edu.au>
Raw Date: Tue, 2 Nov 93 06:19:56 PST

Raw message

From: hiscdcj@lux.latrobe.edu.au  (Dwayne)
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 93 06:19:56 PST
Subject: Re: Some possible projects/topics for CypherPunks

This is from the guy who thought up the punk net idea. He has a smallish
mbox, so asked me to passs this on. Feel free to mail him directly..

Dwayne.

: From jon@werple.apana.org.au Tue Nov  2 17:26:48 1993
: Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1993 17:26:23 +1100 (EST)
: From: Jon Holdsworth <jon@werple.apana.org.au>
: To: hiscdcj@lux.latrobe.edu.au (Dwayne)
:
: > 1. HARDWARE:  What about building our own machines?  This is the Vinge-ian
: >    crypto-anarchy theme ultimately.  We should be able to produce our own
: >    technology,  and not depend on the merchantile/government-mandated
: >    economic system/monopolies.
: >
: >    I see this as being very important to the oceania/autopia/technomad
: >    ideas and projects of creating ocean-going free societies.
: >
 This is all good encouraging stuff!  Of course you realize that half the
 issue is that PunkNet and some other things HAVE to be *Illegal*.  Why?
 Because they have no point in existing if they can be regulated, taxed,
 interferred with or "policed" (an abstract) by any govt or comm agency

:
: >    Or is anyone interested in starting a parallel list of sorts for the
: >    hardware-punks?  'ware-punks?  :-)  or perhaps an even better name
 This is an excellent idea.  Get the HAM crowd into it (The ULTRAnerds)
:
: >    would be The Homebrew Computer Club^2.
 No that would be a fucking shithouse name
:
: > 2. STEGENOGRAPHY: Using the genome project data listings
: >    (bionet.molbio.genbank.updates) as a stegenographic source to
: >    hide encrypted info in.  Similar to the alt.w.a.s.t.e NG,
: >    but more public.  Of course, it'd be bad if your ecrypted data
: >    got credited with curing/causing a genetic disease.... =>
: >
 Mad.  I like it
:
: > 3. PUNK-NET:  (see HARDWARE above)
 Wheeeeeee!!!!
:
: > 4. POLITICS/ANONYMITY:  I may have missed this, but has anyone
: >    discussed Gibson's "The Republic of Desire" idea of having a
: >    network based guerilla organization?  Not that we need to be
: >    guerilla's yet, but...
: >
 In MUDS (eg. Graphical muds!!) I think it would become easier than ever to
 assemble cell-structure type (eg. IRA style) orgs
 Encyphered PunkNet too
:
:
: >    I think the guerilla cell organization would probably lend itself
: >    to using the DC-net protocols, and developing webs-of-trust
 Whats DC-net?

{Dwayne's note:  I'll pass on the DC-NET thing that was posted here a
while ago. I've saved it. Somewhere  :-/  }

              (Dwayne Jones-Evans  IRC, MediaMOO: ddraig  )
     ( SCA: Cynon Yscolan ap Myrddin, Stormhold, Lochac, West)
        PGP public key available. finger me.  be gentle.
           internet---> hiscdcj@lux.latrobe.edu.au

Thread