1993-11-15 - Re: LAW: Wireless interception

Header Data

From: karn@qualcomm.com (Phil Karn)
To: mnemonic@eff.org
Message Hash: 78604d8a949e8f85882eeddf4f1a25ddbbd1adddeba41ca61459f1e075146d97
Message ID: <9311150557.AA04875@servo>
Raw Date: Sun, 14 Nov 93 22:00:18 PST

Raw message

From: karn@qualcomm.com (Phil Karn)
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 93 22:00:18 PST
To: mnemonic@eff.org
Subject: Re: LAW: Wireless interception

Mike is correct that early models of cordless phones could often be
picked up on broadcast radios. Their base stations transmitted just
above the AM broadcast band (in the 1.7 Mhz region). Since then, all
new cordless phones operate on the 46 and 49 Mhz bands, which
generally require a scanner to receive.

However, cell phones still operate in what used to be UHF TV channels
70-83, and it is still possible in some cases to intercept cell phone
calls on a UHF TV set. So much for *that* theory. :-)

I still think my original explanation for the ECPA's distinction
between cordless and cellular phones is the dominant one.

Phil

Thread