1993-11-10 - Gatewaying to Netcom fixed….

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 803d21eafdb091035fb15c6beabee170599787952dcab7d6dfdb85c829833ec8
Message ID: <199311100249.SAA10459@mail.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 18:49:08 PST

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 18:49:08 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Gatewaying to Netcom fixed....

The gatewaying of the List to Netcom has apparently been fixed, or
soon will be. The message below describes what happened.

This still does not explain the similar situations which others
reported (unless they were just reporting purely local gatewaying).

-Tim

> Newsgroups: cypherpunks.list
> From: netnews@netcom.com (USENET Administration)
> Subject: Re: Test of this list...
> Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1993 02:13:30 GMT
>
> In article <tcmayCG8oBv.uq@netcom.com> tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May) writes:
> >
> >I'm writing this as a _post" to a new newsgroup that appeared on
> >Netcom yesterday, "cypherpunks.list."
> >
> >Who created this newsgroup? Do postings here appear on the e-mail list
> >itself? (Hence this test.)
> >
> >I'm not sure that gatewaying our semi-private mailing list, containing
> >candid remarks about smashing governments with strong crypto (as just
> >one example), is such a great idea. It just makes it easier for "Them"
> >to monitor us and for flamers to disrupt the group.
> >
> >Oh well.
> >

> It was newgrouped at Netcom because it was showing up as one of the
> top ten non-existent groups that were were nevertheless receiving
> articles for.
>
> I just checked with the admin of the site that we were receiving
> the articles from.  It turns out that someone downstream of him
> had gatewayed the mailing list into a newsgroup, but it was
> supposed to stay local to that site!  A minor configuration error
> let the articles leak back upstream until they reached Netcom.
>
> The admin of the site gating the list to the newsgroup will be
> patching the leak ASAP, so the list activity should dry up
> in a day or two.  At the end of the week, I'll close the group
> down and that should be the end of it.
>
> Dont'cha just LOVE those funny leetle config files?  ;-)
>

> --
> Netcom Newsfeed Support -- (408) 554-8717 -- netnews@netcom.com

Thread