1993-11-09 - Re: Are we gatewayed to Usenet?

Header Data

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 8d22aaf2a31a018b0b288c6df843cc47c5129cfbcb74a73a82ce53c1941e7dc4
Message ID: <Ugs0Vdm00awQ0_d1Bh@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <199311092038.MAA06532@mail.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-09 21:18:40 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 13:18:40 PST

Raw message

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 13:18:40 PST
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Are we gatewayed to Usenet?

tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May) wrote:

> Last night when I entered the newsgroups of my system (Netcom)
> I was given the choice of subscribing to a new newsgroup,
> "cypherpunks.list". I did with alacrity, to discover what was
> going on.

> I believe someone has gatewayed the list onto Netcom, which is
> available to many thousands of subscribers, including local POPs
> (points of presence) in Washington, D.C., Boston, Atlanta,
> Austin, and of course all up and down the West Coast.

Well, I read the list here as a local newsgroup on cmu.edu, it's not
uncommon at some sites to do this, as it cuts down on incoming mail.  If
it becomes a problem, we could restrict posting access to "registered"
users, as is done on extropians, but I think it might be a bit premature
or possibly counterproductive to take such a step on this list.  I
prefer reading it a local newsfeed, since there is no digest version
availiable, and because it allows me to keep my personal mail seperate
from the list.  I would reccommend that if certain sites become a
problem by attracting flamers, communists, liberals, or government
authoritarian types, that we could remove them on a case-by-case basis.

Thread