1993-11-15 - LD Admits he is S.Boxx (oops!)

Header Data

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 98dfccfc4a0ba1bc992dde6c7235c3debc3db40a7f902e16eaf14112dae6aa59
Message ID: <01H5BU6WYR0I987YTY@delphi.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 14 Nov 93 23:40:19 PST

Raw message

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 93 23:40:19 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: LD Admits he is S.Boxx (oops!)

LD really blew it this time. One has to be very careful when one
maintains multiple identities - it is easy to mix them up and
reveal one's deception. As we will see:

In the following message, LD quotes S.Boxx:

From:   IN%"ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu"  "L. Detweiler" 15-NOV-1993
To:     IN%"cypherpunks@toad.com"
CC:     IN%"ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu"
Subj:   some pseudopool FUN

S.Boxx:
> <sigh> nobody is interested in preventing pseudospoofing here. the
> people who have most maneuvered themselves into a position to aid
> future cyberspace are instead constraining it. that's the point, isn't
> it? gosh, how could I have been so blind...

However, that quote was not from S.Boxx. It was from (who else?)
LD himself, in this message:

From:   IN%"ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu"  "L. Detweiler" 14-NOV-1993
To:     IN%"warlord@MIT.EDU"  "Derek Atkins"
CC:     IN%"ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu"  "L. Detweiler",
        IN%"cypherpunks@toad.com"
Subj:   RE: Key Servers

>> I wonder if anyone would want to start a PGP key server dedicated only
>> to *real* identities. Obviously, there is no such demand with the
>> current ones.
>
>This defeats the purpose for which the PGP Keyservers were created.
>The Keyservers were created to give a *SINGLE* place where you could
>go to request a PGP key for some name (and it doesn't matter whether
>that name is real or not).

<sigh> nobody is interested in preventing pseudospoofing here. the
people who have most maneuvered themselves into a position to aid
future cyberspace are instead constraining it. that's the point, isn't
it? gosh, how could I have been so blind...

Now, LD wrote that quote himself. How could he forget that? How could
he mistakenly attribute it to S.Boxx, unless he is S.Boxx? In this
message, LD makes a very valid point:

From:   IN%"ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu"  "L. Detweiler" 14-NOV-1993
To:     IN%"cypherpunks@toad.com"
CC:     IN%"ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu"
Subj:   Soothing Sayings

Mr. Barnes, you tried to convince me of the Joy of Pseudospoofing, for
which I suggested you were trying to convert me to the  Dark Side
(actually, I am indebtedly grateful for that beautiful inspiration for
my essay). You told me that E.Hughes' lectures on the subject of
pseudospoofing were what drew you to it in the first place! But this is
buried very deep in my comprehensive archives, from many weeks ago. (I
encourage all other cypherpunks to keep very good archives, because
some day we will be able to separate all the pseudospoofed identities
from real ones, and it will be quite shocking, I assure you. Some
prominent cypherpunks are extremely terrified and staunchly opposed to
archives, for obvious reasons.)

Yes, LD, good archives certainly do help in catching pseudospoofers.
Like you. You have been using S.Boxx to post some of your rants and
create a false consensus - exactly what you have argued against so
loudly. How hypocritical can you get?

Why don't we post this on comp.risks and discredit him and his rants
once and for all? Enough of this crap!

--- MikeIngle@delphi.com

Thread