1993-11-20 - RSA Patent valid?

Header Data

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9ae2eab833228e1cef7fb6921a3a494d0e82bdba03fcfc8925fb54eeb60a9fc8
Message ID: <01H5INNXYBWK935MP6@delphi.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 19 Nov 93 20:52:01 PST

Raw message

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 93 20:52:01 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RSA Patent valid?

We were having a discussion in my Computers and Society class about
intellectual property, and the professor pointed out that the courts
have consistently upheld patents of devices and processes which
involve computers, but have shot down patents on algorithms. With
that in mind, would the RSA patent stand up in court?

Maybe that's why RSA has never sued anyone. They know the patent might
not hold up, and it's easier to just keep their licensing fees lower
than the cost of a lawsuit. If this is the case, it's good news for
cypherpunks, because it means they will never take any action against us.

Thread