1993-11-12 - Re: Should we oppose the Data Superhighway/NII?

Header Data

From: doug@netcom.com (Doug Merritt)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9c71b76d1f011e884095638a7380c843aa2580c2ecaaa007c5adfb5d38eab80b
Message ID: <199311120641.WAA15638@mail.netcom.com>
Reply To: <mnemonic@eff.org>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-12 06:43:37 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 11 Nov 93 22:43:37 PST

Raw message

From: doug@netcom.com (Doug Merritt)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 93 22:43:37 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Should we oppose the Data Superhighway/NII?

Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org> said:
>Doug, I think you may be under the impression that we're talking about a
>single fiber-optic or coax cable. You can have a single (or double or
>triple) infrastructural network, but add bandwidth to each one. I think
>the notion of "scarcity" doesn't apply to cable any more than it applies
>to personal computers.

I understand. I think that we're looking at different sides of the same
coin. I'm taking the long view, where you're taking the short view. For
the next several years, I agree that bandwidth will continue to increase
even as cost-per-bit-per-second continues to fall.

My previous comments were directed at the long term view, which may
be inappropriate to discuss at the moment, since naturally the long term
has no immediate pragmatic import.

Just keep those comments in mind 5 or 10 years from now. ;-)
	Doug

Thread