1993-11-10 - Re: Cost of Internet (was: Should we oppose … Superhighway)

Header Data

From: Oliver Seiler <oseiler@unixg.ubc.ca>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a23e9fc5f7496af5d2dfef42617e97f02fabffee6bdca3fa98904972065fab39
Message ID: <Pine.3.05.9311101046.B22015-b100000@unixg.ubc.ca>
Reply To: <Pine.3.05.9311091903.C3662-b100000@tiesnet.ties.k12.mn.us>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-10 18:14:29 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Nov 93 10:14:29 PST

Raw message

From: Oliver Seiler <oseiler@unixg.ubc.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 93 10:14:29 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Cost of Internet (was: Should we oppose ... Superhighway)

> Please don't confuse New York with the vast reaches of Rural America.  ALL
> Internet access is a long distance call from many many location in the
> world, including here.
>
> I would *love to have a free national net available, 'cause I think I know
> how to use it.  Others might abuse it, but I woul work the heck out of it.

I think the question should be:

 Do I want my taxes to pay for somebody elses Internet connection?

I would answer no... (a moot point though, since for one, I'm Canadian,
and for another, the government would probably do it anyway, whether you
want it or not...)

This attitude tends to put me on the opposition for government supplied
networks. Hell, I currently have 5 unix accounts scattered here and there
in cyberspace... I think the main problem is that most people *don't* see
the benefits they would get (I think e-mail probably being the biggest)
since most people are fairly computer illiterate, and even many of the
ones who can handle themselves quite well on a computer don't know the
first thing about the benefits of a network...

(These attitudes were gleaned from working about a year and a half in a
computer store... Wonderful places to meet all sorts of redundant people :)

-Oliver

| Oliver Seiler          + Erisian Development Group +  Amiga Developer  +
| oseiler@unixg.ubc.ca   +-------------Reality by the Slice--------------+
| oseiler@nyx.cs.du.edu  |           	  (604) 683-5364                 |
| ollie@BIX.com          | POB 3547, MPO, Vancouver, BC, CANADA  V6B 3Y6 |

Thread