1993-11-29 - FOIA: Cellular Encryption

Header Data

From: gnu (John Gilmore)
To: cypherpunks
Message Hash: a44b60c7bed374cd3f73b331fc1cacb390fe070e9a6b8b1f50f9a9e8d200e8b4
Message ID: <9311292110.AA14169@toad.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 29 Nov 93 13:12:13 PST

Raw message

From: gnu (John Gilmore)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 93 13:12:13 PST
To: cypherpunks
Subject: FOIA: Cellular Encryption

November 23, 1993

Chief, Office of Policy
National Security Agency/Central Security Service
Fort George Meade, MD  20755-6000
ATTN:  FOIA request

Reference:  CELLULAR ENCRYPTION

Dear Sir or Madam:

This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act [5
U.S.C. ¤ 552(a)] on behalf of my client, Mr. John Gilmore.

I write to request a copy of all agency records or portions
thereof, in electronic or other form, which pertain, relate, or refer to
encryption for cellular telephone communications.  This request
includes, but is not limited to records about:  a standard known as
the Cellular Message Encryption Algorithm ("CMEA"); NSA's
involvement in the development of CMEA; NSA's assessment of
the strengths, weaknesses, and technical features of CMEA;
standards or technologies other than CMEA considered for cellular
telephone communications encryption contacts, conversations,
meetings or communications of any sort involving NSA employees
and persons not employed by NSA regarding cellular telephone
communications encryption.

Mr. Gilmore is informed and believes that NSA employees
have been involved in meetings with persons not employed by
NSA, including persons outside of the U.S. government, about the
CMEA standard, and he specifically asks that you disclose all
agency records of any or all such meetings.

As you know, the FOIA provides that an agency must make
an initial determination of whether to comply with a FOIA request
within ten working days of receiving the request.  Your own
regulations provide that Ò[t]he Chief, Office of Policy, shall notify
the requester of his determination within 10 working days of his
receipt of the request.Ó  [32 C.F.R. ¤ 299.4(b)].

If the records that you possess were originated or classified
by another organization, I ask that your organization declassify
them (if needed) and release them to me, as provided in the FOIA,
within the statutory time limits.  If there is a conflict between the
statutory time limits and some regulation or policy that requires
you refer the records, the statutory requirement takes precedence
over any Executive-branch regulation, policy or practice.  As you
know, the FOIA provides that no more than an additional 10
working days be taken for such consultation.  5 U.S.C. ¤
552(a)(6)(B).  If you do refer documents to any other agency, and
they are not provided within the time limits, we intend to litigate on
this point.

We also remind you that the long-standing rule that the
FOIA "makes no distinction between records maintained in manual
and computer storage systems," Yeager v. D.E.A., 678 F.2d 315,
321 (D.C.Cir. 1982), has recently been amplified in Armstrong v.
E.O.P., No 93-5002 (D.C. Cir., Aug. 13, 1993).  Any paper print-
outs of electronic records, such as e-mail, must include all
information in the electronic record.  Assuming that there would be
no loss of releasable information, such as written comments made
on paper print-outs, we therefore ask you to release all responsive
electronic records in electronic, i.e., machine-readable, form.

As you know, the FOIA provides that even if some
requested material is properly exempted from mandatory
disclosure, all segregable portions must be released.  [5 U.S.C. ¤
552(b)]  If any or all material covered by this request is withheld,
please inform me of the specific exemptions that are being claimed,
and mark all deletions to indicate the exemption(s) being claimed
to authorize each individual withholding.  If the (b)(3) exemption is
claimed, please indicate the relevant withholding statute(s).

In addition, I ask that your agency exercise its discretion to
release information that may be technically exempt.  As you know,
the Attorney General on October 4, 1993, directed that agencies
should administer the FOIA under a presumption of disclosure, and
that information which need not be withheld should not be.

Please do not delay processing because of uncertainty about
the request.  I have reasonably described the records sought.  If you
have any questions regarding this request, please telephone me at
the above number, and we can discuss your questions.

I also request that fees be waived because Mr. Gilmore is
deemed a media requester by your agency for FOIA purposes.
Should there be any problem in this regard, Mr. Gilmore promises
to pay up to $1000 in fees, and you should therefore begin
processing of this request without fee-related delays.

As provided under the FOIA, I will expect a reply within ten
(10) working days.

Sincerely,

Lee Tien
Attorney at Law