1993-11-09 - Re: Are we gatewayed to Usenet?

Header Data

From: Joe Thomas <jthomas@pawpaw.mitre.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a82592b631b2cd9081483b03d22943e8b28c1e64569d58e67587f2f117d84d45
Message ID: <9311092115.AA29343@pawpaw.mitre.org>
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 13:14:01 PST

Raw message

From: Joe Thomas <jthomas@pawpaw.mitre.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 13:14:01 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Are we gatewayed to Usenet?

Tim May wrote:

> I believe someone has gatewayed the list onto
> Netcom, which is available to many thousands of
> subscribers, including local POPs (points of
> presence) in Washington, D.C., Boston, Atlanta,
> Austin, and of course all up and down the West
> Coast.
>

> . . .
>

> It also opens us up to more disruptive flaming
> and puerile argumentation.

Chilling thought:  strnlght@netcom.com

A subscriber to Washington-based Digital Express recently asked on
the digex.general group that the cypherpunks list be gatewayed to a
newsgroup there, too.  It hasn't shown up there, and I hope it
doesn't.  Mailing lists just "feel" a little more private, and their
central administration makes possible some control over abusers.

Has anyone sent mail to postmaster or news@netcom to ask them what
they're doing?  I'd feel a little funny doing so myself, since I'm
not a subscriber.  I have asked Digex not to gateway the list,
though.

Joe

Thread