1993-11-23 - Re: Pyrrhus Cracks RSA?

Header Data

From: “Jon ‘Iain’ Boone” <boone@psc.edu>
To: cfrye@ciis.mitre.org (Curtis D. Frye)
Message Hash: ab055c6e22d09663a275d282a578ced390ec898209db8b77bdc6426267d0566d
Message ID: <9311231701.AA28299@igi.psc.edu>
Reply To: <9311231633.AA08407@ciis.mitre.org>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-23 17:02:55 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Nov 93 09:02:55 PST

Raw message

From: "Jon 'Iain' Boone" <boone@psc.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 93 09:02:55 PST
To: cfrye@ciis.mitre.org (Curtis D. Frye)
Subject: Re: Pyrrhus Cracks RSA?

cfrye@ciis.mitre.org (Curtis D. Frye)  writes:

> >But the NSA?  No way, Jose.  They might be nerds who hacked some
> >code at 3 am.  But you put them on a salary and benefits in a
> >pyramid, then tell them not to talk about their work, and you
> >thwart whatever creativity they had.  The NSA can kill you.  But
> >t({they can never out-think you.
>
> Strong words that, IMHO, put way too much faith in the argument that a
> "restrictive" work environment inevitably crushes individualism and
> creativity.  Any organization, .gov or !.gov, that:
>
>   *  recruits the best and the brightest and pays them well;

   Do you know how much NSA employees get paid?  I'm wondering, because it
   is certainly _not_ the case in the CIA.  The "analysts" may make somewhere
   between the $30K - $45K range, but that's hardly "good pay" for people
   who are experts on that kind of analysis, especially when they have Ph.D.s.

>   *  gives access to substantial computing/financial resources and academic
>      knowledge;
>   *  fosters team-building, creativity, and competition *within the group*;
>   *  rewards achievement and provides status *within the group*; and
>   *  provides other movitivation, be it patriotism/pride/whatever,
>
> will produce more than its fair share of advances in a field.  Given a
> concentrated environment and an advanced set of tools, it seems improbable
> that any group, regardless of organizational affiliation, could be
> outperformed *on an evolutionary basis* by a loose band of academicians and
> private researchers with irregular contact.
>
> Curtis D. Frye
> cfrye@ciis.mitre.org
> "If you think I speak for MITRE, I'll tell you how much they
>  pay me and make you feel foolish."

  Please tell me how much MITRE pays you.  Is your above description a
  description of MITRE?

 Jon Boone | PSC Networking | boone@psc.edu | (412) 268-6959

Thread