1993-11-08 - Re: tapping hardware? (was re: Mark Abene (Phiber Optik) sentenced)

Header Data

From: Brad Huntting <huntting@glarp.com>
To: Timothy Newsham <newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu>
Message Hash: ad28c612dd2c559dea6c74774dcf4a45f2ab7f379cf2514ac801d3665d70fe09
Message ID: <199311081947.AA09591@misc.glarp.com>
Reply To: <9311080705.AA15339@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-08 19:48:23 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 11:48:23 PST

Raw message

From: Brad Huntting <huntting@glarp.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 11:48:23 PST
To: Timothy Newsham <newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu>
Subject: Re: tapping hardware? (was re: Mark Abene (Phiber Optik) sentenced)

> I have heard that tapping high speed modems can be a little tricky
> because of the adaptive filtering done.  The modems both have
> adaptive filters that adjust to the line as they see it.  If you
> are tapping at some other point the filtering will not be optimimal
> for your case.  I believe these filters take care of smearing and
> echos and things of that nature.

Hmm...  As part of the tap, introduce just enough distortion or
noise to cause the modems to fallback to a slower bit rate.  This
is somewhat intrusive of course and so it might be noticed, but it
could make taping a line much cheaper.

brad

Thread