1993-11-27 - Re: Banning any subscriber

Header Data

From: plaz@netcom.com (Geoff Dale)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b1186435d6cac8beb75a07831a267b2c1879f7f3c48c73f103e5162dbe7c2903
Message ID: <199311272018.MAA26674@mail.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Nov 93 12:19:18 PST

Raw message

From: plaz@netcom.com (Geoff Dale)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 93 12:19:18 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Banning any subscriber

Jim choate <ravage@wixer.bga.com> sez:
>Hi again,
>
>I want to thank everyone for their repsonce to my earlier mail. I do have
>some questions however.
>
>1. CypherPunks supports crypto so people cant tamper w/ my mail but you want
>   to censor somebody at the source. How can you support this?

I personally disagree with censorship. It would be impossible to enforce
anyway. A move of this type would simply drive Detweiler to use the
Cypherpunk remailers which would be harder to detect. Then what do we do?
Stop accepting mail from our own remailers?

>4. The responces to L.D. about mail-bombs and posing as a AIDS lab is much
>   worse and more troublesome to me than anything I have seen L.D. post. Not
>   only is some of the actions proposed criminal but I fail to see how a
>   group which relies on its reputation can support or condone such comments.

Look again, that WAS Detweiler, posing as "Psychopunk" (the same Anon id-
an12070@anon.penet.fi - that S.Boxx and "The Executioner" have been using)
trying to bait someone into doing something illegal, and to get the
reaction you just gave. The twisted f*ck is now plotting against himself.

People should be on the lookout, btw. I wouldn't put it past him to try
past him to try to use any of these ideas against others. He's obviously
been thinking about how to screw with other peoples lives remotely.

>5. If you don't like what he says then kill the mail and forget it.

I agree. Besides, after getting past my initial anger, I realized that
Detweiler's posts are funnier than Gary Larson's 'Far Side' cartoons.

I feel safer when he's posting long e-mail messages anyway, at least then
he's not doing anything else. And the more he posts, the lower his
credibility gets.

Geoff Dale    -- insert standard disclaimers here --    plaz@netcom.com
"Once you've gone plastic, you can never go back."  - Plastic Beethoven

Thread