1993-11-08 - Tapping modem transmissions

Header Data

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b4214e2dcf6549c633ceab436dd8f2f6c1176785ac395fa098a42c4689dae058
Message ID: <Ugrec5600awK8D9Uch@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <9311080705.AA15339@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-08 20:23:03 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 12:23:03 PST

Raw message

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 12:23:03 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Tapping modem transmissions

It's not too technically difficult to tap modem connections at low
speed, I played around with it a few years back, and I was able to add a
third modem onto a 300 or 1200 baud connection and view what was being
transmitted.  Using the modem as a dumb interpreter of the signal works
well to analyze the raw data being transmitted at low speeds, but when
you use v.42 and LAPM, things get a bit more complicated.  You need
special hardware/software to interpret and decode the compressed &
checksummed data packets.

Thread