1993-11-08 - Mark Abene (Phiber Optik) sentenced

Header Data

From: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b4d5caae82c2f41706e7086e0be033670bfd52b2611faf7ebbadce28e41ea881
Message ID: <6230@an-teallach.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 07:03:01 PST

Raw message

From: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 07:03:01 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Mark Abene (Phiber Optik) sentenced

In article <9311080705.AA15339@toad.com> newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu writes:
 > I have heard that tapping high speed modems can be a little tricky
 > because of the adaptive filtering done.  The modems both have
 > adaptive filters that adjust to the line as they see it.  If you
 > are tapping at some other point the filtering will not be optimimal
 > for your case.  I believe these filters take care of smearing and
 > echos and things of that nature.
 >
 > Maybe someone in the know can elaborate and clear up all the
 > bad data I probably just spewed :)

Dunno if this is how they did it, but you get *perfect* data tapping
if you record digitally off the exchange trunks...

Personal mail to gtoal@gtoal.com (I read it in the evenings)
Business mail to gtoal@an-teallach.com (Be careful with the spelling!)
Faxes to An Teallach Limited: +44 31 662 4678  Voice: +44 31 668 1550 x212

Thread