1993-11-18 - Re: Encryption: A Testimonial

Header Data

From: wisej <wisej@acf4.NYU.EDU>
To: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Message Hash: b89da4ee0369cd53e9126678af7f7b36e4a648056726f25afcafb4da6c07bc2e
Message ID: <Pine.3.87.9311180145.A18818-0100000@acf4.NYU.EDU>
Reply To: <wgukgVm00awJ8HTkgw@andrew.cmu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-18 06:31:20 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 17 Nov 93 22:31:20 PST

Raw message

From: wisej <wisej@acf4.NYU.EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 93 22:31:20 PST
To: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: Encryption: A Testimonial

On Thu, 18 Nov 1993, Matthew J Ghio wrote:

> tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May) wrote:
>
> > Also an argument for using stegonography, to obscure the fact that one
> > has encrypted files. Companies or universities may have simplistic
> > policies banning encrypion as a matter of policy, for various and
> > sundry reasons, and may snoop through networked machines looking
> > for encrypted files (high entropy, characteristic file types, etc.).
> >
> > Packing those sensitive resumes and job applications in an innocent
> > photo of the dean may be a good idea.
>
> Actually, you could fool a lot of people by creating a hidden disk
> partition.  Nobody would know there was anything hidden unless they did
> a detailed sector-scan of the disk.  Is there any good software for
> doing this with modern operating systems?
> It used to be real easy to do stuff like that in the old days when OS
> were simple and hackable.  Once someone showed me a trick on an old,
> old, Apple DOS; you could change one byte in RAM, and viola, a totally
> new directory appeared on the disk!  Pretty cute trick.  Too bad things
> ain't that simple anymore. :)

Ah, but they are, on mac anyways...pop open ResEdit (available from
ftp.apple.com or in most book stores or development packages), choose
'get file/folder info' from the file menu, and pick any directory in a
standard dir/file browser which comes up.  When the info box comes up,
just click in the 'invisible' box.  When u exit ResEdit, it will ask u if
u want to save changes.  Click 'yes', and...voila...an invisible
subdirectory.  Many programs make this interface even easier, too.

				Jim Wise
				wisej@acf4.edu
				jaw7254@acfcluster.nyu.edu

Thread