1993-11-29 - Let’s Talk About Solutions

Header Data

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d88ffb812de4eaa6c8ef8e2b90ec661558a3bae081adebec0efcfc5bf2d53c51
Message ID: <9311292127.AA07180@ah.com>
Reply To: <199311291601.LAA15061@eff.org>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-29 21:37:17 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 29 Nov 93 13:37:17 PST

Raw message

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 93 13:37:17 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Let's Talk About Solutions

>But I note that for
>"mere users" (as distinct from sophisticated users and programmers),
>current filtering tools are difficult to use. What can make this better?

I'll second Mike's statement by repeating a maxim I periodically need
to repeat here:

	Cypherpunks are not the Hacker Privacy League.

It is certainly much easier to create privacy systems that are
difficult to install and require much background knowledge about the
computer system in question than it is to create systems that are
simple to install and reliable to use.

If we create systems that only we ourselves can use we have
accomplished nothing particularly significant.  Only widespread
deployment counts in the long run, and that won't happen without easy
installation.

As much as I like what Mike Diehl has been working on, I don't
consider it complete.  The installation is far too tricky.  I'm
certainly glad he wrote it, and I'm glad he released it so that it can
be evaluated on technical grounds, but it's early to say that it's
ready for an average user.

Eric

Thread