1993-11-10 - Let “Common Sense” (tm) dictate the in-roads for NII

Header Data

From: ferguson@icm1.icp.net (Paul Ferguson x2044)
To: mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin)
Message Hash: e22269b0756dc41fd40ea2f67f0e8a00f4bd6703062864d1af4e924f6062d3f8
Message ID: <9311100004.AA21899@icm1.icp.net>
Reply To: <199311092324.AA04888@eff.org>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-10 00:09:07 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 16:09:07 PST

Raw message

From: ferguson@icm1.icp.net (Paul Ferguson x2044)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 16:09:07 PST
To: mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin)
Subject: Let "Common Sense" (tm) dictate the in-roads for NII

Mike Godwin writes:

> Tim May writes:
>
> > How is a Net connection any more usable than a free CNN channel?
>
> For one thing, I get cypherpunks here.

Good point.

> > So, if we need a National Information Infractructure, why not the same
> > thing for newspapers, television, radio, etc.? Why not guarantee
> > everyone a daily newspaper? After all, they need to be informed.
>
> I note that those who produce newspapers, television, radio, etc., also
> use the same highways and the same phone system. Good infrastructure
> design unleashes free markets.

Another good point to bear in mind is that networking technologies are
"empowering" people to voice their opinions in a fashion previously
unknown. Once the "empowerment" issue is _really_ discovered by "the
masses" (tm), the need and desire for networking services will virtually
be driven by this simple factor. The cart and the horse.

Cheers,

Paul Ferguson
Mindbank Consulting Group                                    fergp@sytex.com
Fairfax, Virginia  USA                                       ferguson@icp.net