1993-11-23 - Washington Post story: nov 23

Header Data

From: “Pat Farrell” <pfarrell@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e2425cd7783de670e0949bed99026fc13610b712739731ba7cbe23ab87b47721
Message ID: <36705.pfarrell@netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Nov 93 07:13:00 PST

Raw message

From: "Pat Farrell" <pfarrell@netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 93 07:13:00 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Washington Post story: nov 23

On page 1 of today's Post Business section (below the fold)

"Bill would ease curbs on encoding software exports"

Lead paragraphs:

"A buill that could signal a showdown between America's high tech industries
and the national security establishment was introduced into the House
Yesterday.
    Rgp Maria Cantwell (D-Wash) submitted legislation to liberalize export
controls on software with features that allow users to encrypt data."

I'll leave out the rest to save bandwidth and typing. If some one is dying
for all the text, let me know and I'll email it.

Not much new info, NSA against, indussry for, the famous "genie lack in the
bottle" quote from Conrgessman Gejdenson, etc.

For folks outside the beltway, Congress is trying like crazy to go home
for Thanksgiving and stay there until January. Nothing will happen on this
bill until next year. The release timing was simply to get some favorablelXmas brownie points when the congresscritters hit the local rubber chicken
circuit.

Pat

Pat Farrell      Grad Student                 pfarrell@netcom.com
Department of Computer Science    George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Public key availble via finger          #include <standard.disclaimer>

Thread