1993-11-01 - Increasing subscriber base (fwd)

Header Data

From: szabo@netcom.com (Nick Szabo)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e7e161bfed7e8565d3075764fb68e2574372a90809ec2da5b50a60e7b7598791
Message ID: <9311011041.AA27784@netcom6.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 1 Nov 93 02:43:49 PST

Raw message

From: szabo@netcom.com (Nick Szabo)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 93 02:43:49 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Increasing subscriber base (fwd)

Cypherpunks,

Enclosed below is a call for help.  imp-interest deals with
Internet commercial protocols, with special interest in secure
billing.  The future of cypherpunks' goals, most obviously digital
cash but also much of the rest of our varied agenda, ranging from
privacy to freedom on the net, is deeply tied in with what direction
the emerging world of Internet commerce chooses to pursue.  Will these
businesses move us towards a world of freedom and privacy on the net,
or a world in which our credit card numbers and IDs will be tracked to
"ensure accountability", and our every purchase and data access on the
commercial Net tied to our True Names to build lucrative marketing
databases and fodder for future snoops?  Contrariwise, what
insights can those pursuing the everyday practicum of net.business
contribute to the cypherpunks vision?

It would be a tremendous advance, I daresay more important than
stopping Clipper (important as that task is), to get Internet commerce
on board with the commercial privacy-enhancing protocols of Chaum et.
al. -- digital cash, DC-nets, per-organization pseudonyms with transferable
credentials, etc.  And contrariwise, to invigorate those protocols
with doses of practical, real-world business considerations.
Those of us with an interest in promoting free and private Internet
commerce, and motivation to pursue this, I urge you to get deeply
involved in the "imp" movement.

Nick Szabo				szabo@netcom.com