1993-11-10 - Re: Should we oppose the Data Superhighway/NII?

Header Data

From: “Pat Farrell” <pfarrell@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ffe4a8b349766d95c467f07cdfdabc7d02e7168c64bb007487797206df4045bf
Message ID: <40905.pfarrell@netcom.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Nov 93 08:23:19 PST

Raw message

From: "Pat Farrell" <pfarrell@netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 93 08:23:19 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Should we oppose the Data Superhighway/NII?

Tim May asks if we cypherpunks should oppose the NII.
I think we probably should, but not on cypherpunks.
A suitable list for discussing this topic is
'com-priv@psi.com' which addresses the political and economic issues
of the commercialization of the pure and pristine Internet.

The US Federal government already has a huge infrastructure of networking.
For example, the VA has two independant nationwide networks. On connects
the administrative folks that handle VA loans, college benefits, etc. and
the other connects the VA hospitals. The DOT has a huge net for air traffic
control. The Federal Courts have their own network. Interior, thru USGS has
a huge network, with BLM and other agencies trying to make it bigger.
Social Secutrity has a net, Agriculture has a net and a large payroll
center in New Orleans. I think 'punks are smart enuff to see a pattern here.

Followups via email are fine. Otherwise I'm moving this to com-priv.

Pat
-- former consultant to VA, DOT, SSN, Treasury, Interior, Courts, etc.

Pat Farrell      Grad Student                 pfarrell@netcom.com
Department of Computer Science    George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Public key availble via finger          #include <standard.disclaimer>

Thread