1993-12-12 - USENET on a tape, and future privacy

Header Data

From: nate@VIS.ColoState.EDU (CVL staff member Nate Sammons)
Message Hash: 0369c04e8bcc93118f8d2014b3b36a5fd937aa911efe75f0c2a4587b6f07d110
Message ID: <9312120152.AA25408@vangogh.VIS.ColoState.EDU>
Raw Date: Sat, 11 Dec 93 17:57:06 PST

Raw message

From: nate@VIS.ColoState.EDU (CVL staff member Nate Sammons)
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 93 17:57:06 PST
Subject: USENET on a tape, and future privacy

I was just thinking.  My roommate mentioned that he saw an ad for
a service available in europe.  They send you an 8mm tape evey week
that has all the USENET traffic on it.  I was thinking that a large
corporation thinking of hiring me (or you, you just never know!) could
pay some service to scrounge up all the USENET posting you have made for
the last, say, 10 years, and run them through a filter to get a feel for
the nature of the posts (assuming you were too prolific to have the
job-hunters read _al_ of your posts).

This really scared me, so I think I will start making more frequent
use of the remailers in the future.

Just my $0.02 (revalued to $15.00 with recent inflation)

- -nate

- --
| Nate Sammons  nate@VIS.ColoState.Edu  (303) 491-1578                  |
|   Colorado State University -- Computer Visualization Laboratory      |