1993-12-11 - Re: value of privacy?

Header Data

From: baumbach@atmel.com ( )
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0494438cdfbfa0ea54900ec523014d006496c01e2b1178269fda92ed59b312de
Message ID: <9312110151.AA10840@bass.chp.atmel.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 18:19:40 PST

Raw message

From: baumbach@atmel.com ( )
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 18:19:40 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: value of privacy?

> example, it doesn't _hurt_ me to get targeted junk mail, but I find it
> unsettling that direct marketers know enough about me to send the 'right'
> mail. I see it this way; 'they' make decisions about me and initiate a
> relationship with me without my knowledge or consent. The relationship is
> artificial and uneven; 'they' know more about me than I know about 'them'.

An idea that I have never used, but was suggested to me by my father, goes
like this:

RING RING

me: Hello

??: Mr. Peter Baumbach, I am calling from ICK inc. to offer you ..

me: Excuse me, but I am busy right now. Could you give me your name and
   home phone number, and I will call you back later?

??: Huh? I can't give you my home number, that's private.

me: But you know my name and number.  This hardly seems fair.

Thread