1993-12-23 - Re: eavesdropping detection

Header Data

From: Jim choate <ravage@wixer.bga.com>
To: gg@well.sf.ca.us (George A. Gleason)
Message Hash: 1ab921e7382e0e09d358a5cf426de489223f719b381c93bc33bfa150f83ec224
Message ID: <9312231521.AA14185@wixer>
Reply To: <199312230827.AAA04360@well.sf.ca.us>
UTC Datetime: 1993-12-23 15:35:58 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 23 Dec 93 07:35:58 PST

Raw message

From: Jim choate <ravage@wixer.bga.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 93 07:35:58 PST
To: gg@well.sf.ca.us (George A. Gleason)
Subject: Re: eavesdropping detection

Hi George,

Merry Christmas to you, yours, and the CypherPunks!

Glad to meet another 'proffesional' security person. I worked for a major
university doing all kinds of physical security and access abuse for 5 years.
Was a lot of fun and got to play with all kinds of nifty stuff...:)

My favorite is the toilet roll camera made for Airports....

I would agree w/ you as far as the telephone switch tap is concerned. The
only way to find that is to get into the switch (or possibly the local police
computer through a rf link). When I had posted my original reply I had not
taken that into consideration. Since most police departments don't encrypt
(or at least not strongly) their database searches from their in-car
computers I can see a possible hole here. I really don't expect it to stay
open very long however (a year or two at best).

I know such data can be accepted by a normal pc w/ a scanner and modem. It
should not be much of a step to put a xmitter online and do some spoofing.

Thread