1993-12-06 - Encryption and IP via Cable “TV”

Header Data

From: Harry Shapiro <habs@panix.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (Good Guys)
Message Hash: 269799fb651a6c101a95650c85f5888048ae19d31d77368cdc6dcfce2b1ead75
Message ID: <199312060352.AA27582@panix.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 5 Dec 93 19:53:13 PST

Raw message

From: Harry Shapiro <habs@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 93 19:53:13 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (Good Guys)
Subject: Encryption and IP via Cable "TV"

I pulled this off of nexis. Please note the line I highlighted.

Does anyone know what kind of encryption is being used?

At even $100 per month, we could set up also sorts of remailers
all over the country. We could even create a secure comm. via
PGP (for voice) via IP, etc.

But I wonder if the encryption "they" are using would interfer
with such schemes?

/hawk

 Ethernet connection, but wouldn't require any other additional
installation on users' part.  PSI isU.S." PSI plans to have 2 tiers of
service, business and residential.  Network security problem has been
			 		    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
solved, using "on-the-fly" data encryption, he said.  One issue that
hasn't been fully resolved by Continental is reliability, Schoffstall
said. "Cable companies are used to supplying entertainment.  If their
network goes down for a day, wesame cable system to provide their
data, essentially their livelihood in the case of business users,
well, there's going to have to be much better understanding of how to
provide some guarantees of service."  Price for service in homes is to
be $ 75-$ 100 per month at start, but is expected to drop rapidly as
economies of scale grow.

--
Harry S. Hawk  				      habs@extropy.org
Electronic Communications Officer, Extropy Institute Inc.

Thread