1993-12-03 - Re: NSA CAN BREAK PGP ENCRYPTION

Header Data

From: dmandl@lehman.com (David Mandl)
To: jazz@hal.com
Message Hash: 40e2e9d803d10a8ec732ca35b71d42a49063e35426dd520afc86175a7c8eebd3
Message ID: <9312031325.AA02632@disvnm2.lehman.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 3 Dec 93 05:28:50 PST

Raw message

From: dmandl@lehman.com (David Mandl)
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 93 05:28:50 PST
To: jazz@hal.com
Subject: Re: NSA CAN BREAK PGP ENCRYPTION

> From: jazz@hal.com (Jason Zions)
>
>    >        A lot of people think that PGP encryption is unbreakable and
>    >that the NSA/FBI/CIA/MJ12 cannot read their mail. This is wrong, and it
>    >can be a deadly mistake. In Idaho, a left-wing activist by the name of
>    >Craig Steingold was arrested _one day_ before he and others wee to stage
>    >a protest at government buildings; the police had a copy of a message
>    >sent by Steingold to another activist, a message which had been
>    >encrypted with PGP and sent through E-mail.
>
> Craig Steingold indeed. Looks so much like Craig Shergold, of infamous
> dying-boy-wants-Guiness-record fame, that I had to read it twice.

Right, and I'm sure this is exactly the way the NSA would finally reveal that
they can break PGP: by busting a group of lefties planning to "stage a protest at
government buildings"!  Good one.

   --Dave.

Thread