1993-12-29 - Domestic ftp sites

Header Data

From: mpjohnso@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Michael Johnson)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5984abf2bf27addf6bfb3d490d802f30973a91afc9c51142410777e2d42ea4f9
Message ID: <9312291837.AA07328@nyx10.cs.du.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 29 Dec 93 10:40:39 PST

Raw message

From: mpjohnso@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Michael Johnson)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 93 10:40:39 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Domestic ftp sites

>> If you mean a site -in- the USA/Canada, no problem.  If you mean a
>> site which will not send files outside the USA/Canada, I don't think
>> there is any such animal.  The only site even -attempting- to restrict

>ripem.msu.edu evidently has such a policy. I'm considering using it to

I've just started an ftp site with a USA/Canada distribution policy for
crypto software.  Nothing can totally prevent the theft of data from
this site, or ripem.msu.edu or rsa.com, but I decided that I would
exercise my right to publish within the USA anyway.  About the best
I can do without demanding to see proof of citizenship in person (and
even that could be forged) is to make it very difficult to get the data
without reading a warning notice first, and hope that a combination of
conscience along with the possibility of the actions being traced by
the U. S. Government and/or the government of the perpetrator's
country will limit the number of violations.

anonymous ftp to csn.org and read mpj/README.MPJ for details.  There
is also the Colorado Catacombs BBS (303-938-9654) crypto areas that I
hope to expand.

                                       Mike Johnson
                                       mpjohnso@nyx10.cs.du.edu

Thread