1993-12-17 - Re: inman vs. crypto

Header Data

From: sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us (Bill Sommerfeld)
To: banisar@washofc.cpsr.org
Message Hash: 5e3948023ed0e9eeff6d33448c3396a52ee3f6167eddca3f2ca5a9e9621f5e04
Message ID: <199312171527.KAA00286@orchard.medford.ma.us>
Raw Date: Fri, 17 Dec 93 07:36:18 PST

Raw message

From: sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us (Bill Sommerfeld)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 93 07:36:18 PST
To: banisar@washofc.cpsr.org
Subject: Re: inman vs. crypto

   ' "My Answer", he said "would be legislation which would
   make it a criminal offense to use encrypted communications to conceal
   criminal activity.

This isn't so bad all by itself, but...

   ..you could have a registry of institutios which can
   legally use cryphers. If you get somebody using one who isn't registered,
   then you go after him." '

... this is absolutely unacceptable!

BTW, I just called Sen. Kennedy's office.  Kennedy is on the Armed
Services committee, and according to the secretary is in favor of the
nomination, but I asked a staffer to ask Kennedy to ask Inman about
how he reconciles the First Amendment with statements he's made like
these.

					- Bill

Thread