1993-12-09 - Re: dialup Mosaic!!!!??

Header Data

From: jon@balder.us.dell.com (Jon Boede)
To: ccat@netcom.com (Chris Beaumont)
Message Hash: 97c42df365259c0a9c3ad44f4084ebcaed471a9fdaf8e04005e751a1729f69c2
Message ID: <9312092134.AA09260@balder.us.dell.com>
Reply To: <199312092035.MAA22134@mail.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-12-09 21:36:02 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 9 Dec 93 13:36:02 PST

Raw message

From: jon@balder.us.dell.com (Jon Boede)
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 93 13:36:02 PST
To: ccat@netcom.com (Chris Beaumont)
Subject: Re: dialup Mosaic!!!!??

Chris Beaumont writes:
> Is there anything to prevent a dialup Mosaic for,say,Macs from being written?
> It would be _very_ popular...

You can already run the Mac client over a MacSLIP connection.  Tho', even with
something like a 56Kb/s connection it's excruciatingly painfully slow.

The "problem" with Mosaic is that it makes you realize that Internet multi-
media hypertext applications require at least a T1 (1,544,000 bps) connection
to begin to be liveable.

I continue to be amazed at the fact that no matter how fast you go or how
much memory you buy it still only takes about eighteen months to go from the
leading edge to the lame edge.  I now find it hard to imagine that I would
ever make the statement "a 50Mb/s connection just isn't fast enough" -- I
well remember when I thought that a T1 was more then you could ever use, but
Mosaic just burns it up.  more! more! more! :-)

Jon

Thread