1993-12-10 - Re: Internet Backbone Traffic

Header Data

From: jdwilson@gold.chem.hawaii.edu (Jim Wilson (VA))
To: jdblair@nextsrv.cas.muohio.EDU
Message Hash: b09f767f2eaa2e46dc47cca008b571d8f4f1e86b9ec112c055fbb9105ae4f603
Message ID: <9312100036.AA08198@gold.chem.hawaii.edu>
Reply To: <9312092243.AA23114@ nextsrv.cas.muohio.EDU >
UTC Datetime: 1993-12-10 00:41:04 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 9 Dec 93 16:41:04 PST

Raw message

From: jdwilson@gold.chem.hawaii.edu (Jim Wilson (VA))
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 93 16:41:04 PST
To: jdblair@nextsrv.cas.muohio.EDU
Subject: Re: Internet Backbone Traffic

> Someone in the past week asserted that, at $1000 a gig, one could store
> all of a year's worth of mail headers from the Internet backbone for under
> ~$8.7 million. (8700 gigs of data, I presume?)
>
> Sorry, I don't remember who it was, but I have some questions:
>
> 1) Where can I find an estimate of the mail volume on the net?
> 2) Are there any projections of internet usage (subscribers, mail users,
> etc.) over the next several years?
>
> I plan on holding an educational session on net legal issues, and I would
> like to point out the $8.7 million/year price tag on a mail header
> archive (scary potentials, to say the least), but I would like some sources to
> back me up if I assert it.
>
> Can anyone help me out?  I'd really appreciate it.
> -john.

> John Blair <jdblair@nextsrv.cas.muohio.edu>              phone: (513) 529-4879
>     Insert cool signature file that makes a trendy, yet bold and original
>    statement about my cyberspace proficiency, then mentions that I'll send
>    you my PGP public key if you want it, and you trust that I'm actually me.

Telnet to internic.net and choose the gopher option.  They have statistics
of various types (and all kinds of other misc. info)

 -Jim

Thread