1993-12-04 - Re: Will I be on a wanted poster?

Header Data

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew@cubetech.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b6285c27e3717d0bbfcf095b9d7ca90e3dfa3ec175d053227ebdbe762ac9ccd5
Message ID: <9312042333.AA21227@valinor.cubetech.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 4 Dec 93 15:34:31 PST

Raw message

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew@cubetech.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 93 15:34:31 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Will I be on a wanted poster?

> > In my opinion, this is the best example yet since PGP of "cypherpunks
> > writing code" because of the implications that this program has
> > on privacy.  (I'm using it to keep a personal space for my tax
> > records, private correspondence, PGP dir, etc.), but Mike's
> > suggestion for encrypting an entire BBS itself is a good point.
> > What if *every* sysop encrypted their BBS with Secure Drive?
>

> No more Steve Jackson Games cases. I hope this happens.  Computer
> theft and unreasonable seizure is a real problem.

As far as I know, a system like SecureDrive, KFS, or CFS, is really only as
secure as the running machine is.  Generally, when a BBS is 'seized'
(forfeited? ;), it is running when the feds get there.  Right now, if they have
any clue (and from what I hear, the FBI has much more of a clue than the SS
when it comes to this type of investigation), they usually take pictures of the
setup to make sure they can put the machine back together when they get it to
wherever they are taking it to.  If encrypting file-systems become a problem, a
disk could be developed (probably pretty easily) to retrieve the key from
memory before they power it down.

andrew
"Touch that keyboard and die!!"

Thread